Monday, February 23, 2015

Bubble bibs


My first crafty sewing project started when Koala was a baby and she just started teething. She drooled a lot and the baby bibs we had didn't match her cute outfits. I started to look for more fashionable bibs.
First, I bought some bandana bibs from Amazon from a brand called Zippy. They don't have the exact ones that I bought but these are the same except they're blue. 

I then came across scarf bibs. 

When I saw this I thought, 'Hey I could totally make this.' So I bought some material and went to my mom's to use her sewing machine. After a really long time and I think even a broken needle, I made my first scarf bib. It definitely wasn't the best- the stitching was crooked and a couple times the thread bunched up, but I did it. And it looked so much cuter on Koala than the baby bibs! I got a lot of compliments whenever Koala wore her bubble bibs. 

I started to buy all sorts of different material to make them. 

Some of the bibs that I've made

The bibs were cute and fairly easy to make so I had dreams of selling them on etsy or something. I came up with a brand name (Bubbles) and designed a simple logo. I even made labels to put on the bibs. I eventually simplified the tags and decided to stick with just black. 


And I made tags with wash instructions. 


I even tried to branch out and make boy print bibs to get a larger audience. (Buffalo plaid, super hero, sports ones, mustaches). 

As you can see, I get pretty invested in my projects.  But I lost steam when it came to actually posting the bibs and selling them. I got overwhelmed with the business end of it like copyrights and all that. 
 After a while, Koala stopped teething/drooling and she didn't need bibs anymore and my bubble bibs business was put on the back burner for a while. I invested my time in other projects like the quiet book, etc. 
Just recently, I started making the bibs again- mostly because I have a lot of friends who are having babies and I figure the bibs make a good gift since they're practical, cute and handmade which shows the thought/time I put into them.

Now that Baby Bear will be here soon, I'm working on making a stash of cute bibs for him to wear. Who knows, maybe my bib business will take off but even if it doesn't, at least Baby Bear will be stylin'.












No comments:

Post a Comment