Sunday, November 16, 2014

Gender reveal & Koala's birthday party

October was a busy month so I decided to have a joint birthday party for Koala and a gender reveal since I could only find one day that I could have it. 
Initially, I planned on having separate parties so I already had planned the themes- Pororo for Koala's party and a fall pumpkin theme for the gender reveal. I decided to keep the themes separate so that later Koala wouldn't feel like she was being pushed out by her new sibling.   It worked out because I only had to bake one dessert and split them between the tables!

The dessert table for Koala's party. For some reason, it looks pretty bare compared to the gender reveal side. 

For Koala's party, I used the fondant toppers that I had from our immediate family celebration and added some new cupcake toppers. 

I decided to have oreo truffles and use them as the bodies of the characters and just print out the heads for them. My friend Maria came and helped me with the desserts! 

Maria made the oreo truffles and matched the colors  to the bodies perfectly! 

More oreo truffles 

Maria is an awesome baker so she convinced me we needed (and had time) to make sugar cookies too. 

I later took all the leftover desserts to work & got the most compliments on how great the cookies tasted!


The cake was similar to the small party I had except I ordered this one instead of making it. It was chocolate chocolate chip with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting. 

Gender reveal
The gender reveal dessert table 

I wanted to do a fall theme and came across some ideas on Pinterest. I decided for the menu to do a Chili bar. We had regular chili and white chicken chili, baked potatoes with onions, chives, cheese, sour cream and fritos for the toppings. 


Sides included bread, corn bread, and a veggie tray. We had cold and hot apple cider for drinks.



I also made a fruit arrangement with the #2 for Koala's birthday but I guess it also works for baby #2. 

(My feeble attempt at chalkboard art 10 mins before the party started) 

Plates, bowls, cups and utensil station

For the desserts, I wanted to go with fall type desserts. 
We made mini caramel apples. I used a melon baller to make the mini apples.  Initially I made them with pretzels as the stick but I later realized that was a bad idea because the pretzels got soggy. In the end we decided to use lollipop sticks and straws.

Mini caramel apples attempt #1

The caramel apples were a lot harder to make than I thought. I thought I could just dip them in caramel but the caramel is very finicky. It would either not stick or would stick but then would run off the apples. They tasted ok but I don't think I'll ever make them again!



We also made mini apple pies and mini blueberry pies. 
Prebake

Finished product in the background

The mini pies were so yummy! I wish I was eating one right now! 

The cupcakes were actually pumpkin muffins that I put cheesecake in the middle. 

We topped the muffins with buttercream frosting and either a Pororo fondant topper or pumpkin topper. Koala approved of them- she ate one (without frosting) and was walking around the house saying 'mmmmmm' as she ate it.
 
Cupcakes with the pumpkin toppers

I had leftover cheesecake mix to make a cheesecake as well. 

The gender reveal table also had fresh homemade (not by me but by the apple farm) doughnuts. 


For the actual reveal, I took a pumpkin and carved it from the bottom. At the ultrasound, I had taken two brown paper bags- one with Pororo in it and one with Petty. 

I asked the ultrasound tech to write yes on the bag that has the correct gender and no on the other bag. Then when I carved the pumpkin, I put the bag in and dumped in the toy. 

The pumpkin was the centerpiece of the gender reveal dessert table. At the party, we carved off the top and Koala pulled out the toy to reveal....

... It's a boy! 
(Sorry, not the best pic) 

All in all, it was a fun birthday/gender reveal party. 






2 comments:

  1. What a great party! The pumpkin bowl for the dip was so cute! The chalkboard menu looked awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, everything looks so good! The chili especially...
    Will need to learn how to make those truffles from you one day!
    Congrats on the baby boy :) excited!!!

    ReplyDelete