Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Bow ties and Onesie Cardigan


My first project that I worked on after creating my new craft workspace was to make some bow ties to Baby Bear (BBC). 
I found some material that I had leftover from my bibs that was too small to make bibs with but perfect for bow ties. 

I found simple instructions on how to make a bow tie. I actually just looked at the pictures on a pin on Pinterest. But here's the link for that pin.

1. Cut out a rectangle. 
2. Fold the top and bottom horizontally about a quarter of the length
3. Fold the sides vertically so they meet in the middle. 
4. Some unpictured steps: scrunch the middle of the fabric and take a small piece of fabric and sew or glue it to hold the bow tie together. 
The pin showed a double bow tie. I only made one double bow tie because it looked funny with the other ones. 

Mustache bow tie 
Top: Blue plaid bow tie and chevron bow tie (you can't really tell that it's chevron)
Bottom: St. Patrick's Day bow tie 

The hardest part for me was getting the bow tie to look symmetrical. I still felt that the bow ties weren't symmetrical but I let it slide. 

I was going to add a snap to the back to snap onto a shirt but I decided to use safety pins so that I could use the bow ties on any shirt. 

In addition to the bow ties, I made BBC a cardigan from a onesie. This blog gave good instructions on how to make it 


1. Start with a onesie
2. Use a ruler and draw a Y shape on the front of the onesie. Cut on these lines. Also cut off the back collar 
3. Pin bias starting from the middle of the Y to go around the back collar (that was cut off) and then down the front to the bottom. 
4. Sew the bias to the shirt. Sew the two sides of the shirt back together under the bias. (It looks crooked in the final picture but it's not that crooked.)

Add buttons to the bias and viola- you have a onesie cardigan. 






No comments:

Post a Comment